Please mark your calendars for Curriculum Nights which will be held as follows:
– Tuesday, October 4th for 6th grade only
– Wednesday, October 5th for 7th grade only
– Thursday, October 6th for 8th grade only
Each night begins promptly at 6:30pm. Curriculum night would give you the opportunity to meet with all of your child’s academic teachers, instead of meeting with you child’s homeroom teacher during a normal middle school conference. Shortly, a letter will be sent with further details. Thank you.
6th Grade Activity Night-Fun, Food, and Friends
When: Thursday Oct. 13th
Where: the Gym at Simpson
Time: 4:30-6 pm, right after school
Cost: $5 per student includes slice of pizza, water and a treat (all are welcome but it’s $5 if you would like pizza)
Tickets will be sold on Wednesday Oct. 12th and Thursday Oct. 13th morning from 8:30-9:15 am. You must have a ticket to get into the door.
We will have a DJ, games and other activities. Come spend a great afternoon with your friends!
*Students will come directly after dismissal from school and parents will pick up between 5:45-6pm
This year’s Theme: What Is Your Story?
10/4/2016 entry due date
10/7/2016 all entries will be picked up and sent out for judging
*it will be at least January, 2017 before we have materials back or later if their entry moves on
ENTRY REQUIREMENTS. (All participants must also follow Arts Category and Division Rules)
• Only new pieces of artwork inspired by the current year’s theme may be submitted.
• Each entry must be the original work of one student only. An adult may not alter the creative integrity of a student’s work. Because the program is designed to encourage and recognize each student’s individual creativity, help from an adult or collaboration with other students is not allowed except in the Special Artist Division. Only one student may be recognized as the award recipient for each entry. Other individuals may appear in or perform a student’s work, but the work itself must be the creative product of one student only. See the specific Arts Category Rules for details.
• Each entry must contain a title and all entries must include an artist statement. The artist statement communicates what inspired the work, how it relates to the theme, and the content of the work. The statement must include at least one sentence, but may not exceed 100 words.
• Use of copyrighted material is prohibited, except for recorded music in dance choreography and film production entries. Plagiarized entries will be disqualified. Use of PowerPoint presentations are prohibited because most graphic elements are copyrighted. Important forms can be found below and are also available in the Media Center:
Student Entry Form
Category rules and more info can be found here.
The Fall book fair is coming up quickly, and we are looking for volunteers! Decorating begins Monday, September 19th, and the book fair will be held the week after Fall break. All profits from this book fair will benefit schools in Louisiana that lost their books in the August floods. Please use the link and sign up for a shift today!
IT’S THAT TIME AGAIN! TIME TO START COLLECTING BOX TOPS FOR EDUCATION!
This earns cash for our classrooms!
This year we have a huge goal! HELP Simpson EARN 50,000 BONUS BOX TOPS FOR OUR SCHOOL! THAT’S $5,000.00 FOR OUR SCHOOL!
Okay, we know what you are thinking THAT’S A LOT! It really isn’t though. Do you know that if 600 families participate that’s only 84 per family. Doesn’t seem so much anymore, does it?
Two 50 box top sheets per family will be sent home next week. PLEASE HELP SIMPSON RISE TO THE OCCASION! If you have questions, contact our Box Tops Coordinator, Jen-I Debetta.
Are you a member of Simpson PTSA? Check out the benefits of membership: ECCCPTABenefits 2016-17Take3
If you haven’t joined, make sure to do so during Open House this week! Or, complete your Simpsonmembership form and drop it by the front office or send it in with your student. You can also join online. Follow the links on the righthand-side of the page.
Duty Free Lunch Volunteers Needed!
Duty Free Lunch is the title given to the Fridays when teachers are provided the opportunity to eat their lunches away from the cafeteria. Most days, teachers are required to eat lunch with their students and monitor the lunch room during this time. Twice a month, they are given the opportunity to eat lunch in their classrooms and take a short break away from their students.
As a Duty Free Lunch volunteer, you will monitor the students in the cafeteria to be sure they are eating within their allotted lunch time and that they clean up their tables when they are finished. You are not required to serve food. You are not required to clean the floor or tables. If you would like to wipe down tables and/or sweep under them, you are more than welcome to do so, but you are not required to do so.
This is great way for you to see your student while he or she is at school and possibly meet some of his/her friends. It is also a wonderful way to show your support for our teachers.
Duty Free Lunch is scheduled twice a month on Fridays. Volunteers are needed between the hours of 11a – 1:30p and should sit at the round table that is center most in the cafeteria. This allows for the best view of the entire lunch room. It is recommended that volunteers be available for the entire 2.5 hours, however it is not necessary, and we we appreciate any amount of time that you are able to commit to. The only dates that are currently confirmed are Friday, August 26 and Friday, September 16. necessary.
We would like to have at least 4 volunteers scheduled for each Duty Free Lunch, as it’s the ideal number for monitoring the lunch room. We CANNOT offer a Duty Free Lunch with less than 2 volunteers. You can volunteer a little or as often as your schedule allows.
If you are interested in volunteering to cover Duty Free Lunch, or if you have any questions about it, please contact at Stacee Michaud.
PLEASE NOTE: If your student is returning to Simpson (rising 7th or 8th Grader) AND you received the Eagle Eye during the 2015-2016 school year you DO NOT need to sign up again, we’ve got you covered.
If you are a NEW student to Simpson in 2016-2017, sign up below:
6th Grade signup here.
7th Grade signup here.
8th Grade signup here.
One of the best ways to learn about Simpson, its staff, teachers and students is to volunteer with PTSA! It also accomplishes one of the most important things you can do as a middle school parents – know other parents! We have many opportunities available and even have a few committee head position open for next year! Please contact us if you’re interested in becoming one of these Committee heads or volunteering for a specific committee. Incoming PTSA Co-Presidents: Dyana Bishop and Candace Kollas .